Yoga and fitness mats are as different as the people who choose them. And we suggest that you navigate this variety with the help of our selection from Amazon to not be at a loss evaluating the assortment and understand what to choose.
We at Bright Side are sure that you will definitely find the perfect option for you! It all depends on what type of activities you are planning. We have evaluated various selection criteria so that you can choose the best one for your purposes.
1. Best for relaxing yoga — thick and soft yoga mat with guide lines and a reinforced edge
This mat has a thickness of 10 mm, which will provide soft, comfortable support during an unhurried training. On thick yoga mats it is much more convenient to perform poses with an emphasis on elbows and knees, which are often part of slower and calm training, such as Hatha, Yin, recovery or even prenatal yoga.
- The fortified land will protect against shedding
- The guidelines help to properly place the body in the asana
- Comfortable for sensitive joints
- Does not conduct cold from the floor
- Not suitable for intense training as it can move and lead to injury
- Due to softness, it can be more difficult to hold balance in standing poses
2. Best for allergy sufferers — reversible mat in various colors with good adhesion to the floor
This mat is 6 mm thick and made of modern materials which combines the rejuvenity of plastic and rubber. It is more environmentally friendly and suitable for those who suffer from allergies to rubber or latex. The material is water-repellent, which makes it convenient to care for, but it can become slippery with sweat.
- Easy to wash
- Suitable for active training
- Loses stickiness when getting wet
3. Best moisture absorber — cork mat with a design that will decorate the interior
This mat is made of cork on a backing of the same modern material. Cork retains moisture well, and when wet from sweat, the grip with it will only get better. This makes this yoga mat suitable for the most active types of training.
- Pleasant to the touch
- Absorbs moisture
- Elastic and resistant
- Relatively heavy
- May start to crumble over time
4. Best for yoga retreats — slim yoga mat with a grippy surface and increased area for hot workouts
Thin mats are suitable for active and hot practice, they are chosen by more experienced practitioners, instructors, as well as yoga retreat lovers. These are easy to fold and carry, it is good to perform asanas on them with support on the ground to develop balance, but such mats are not entirely comfortable for restorative asanas.
- Excellent grip
- For active yoga practice
- Thin, you can feel the floor
- Low cushioning
5. Best for home training— extra thick soft non-slip yoga mat
A good choice for home workouts that will provide excellent cushioning and relaxation. Made of foam, this mat is easy to tie and has good stickiness and at a great value. This works well for Pilates and other relaxing practices.
- Good tenacity
- Not biodegradable
- Doesn’t absorb moisture well
- Dents may remain over time
6. Best for active training— yoga mat for active training that absorbs sweat and provides maximum stickiness
For those of you who like to sweat — this is your yoga mat! An eco-friendly, ultra-absorbent microfiber top layer is bonded to a natural rubber base layer to provide the ultimate in sweat management and stability. Moisture and sweat increase grip on the mat, you can even splash it with water before your workout!
- Great design
- Natural and non-toxic
- Does not conduct cold from the floor
- Excellent tenacity with the floor
- Quite heavy
- Natural material can cause allergies
What is your favorite type of physical activity? Do you need anything other than a yoga mat for it?
Bright Side is an Amazon Associate and gets commission for purchases made through links in this post.