NEW YORK — The Mets will take a first look at one of their less-heralded Trade Deadline acquisitions on Thursday, with right-hander Trevor Williams set to start their series finale against the Nationals. Manager Luis Rojas called Williams “an option” to start that game, and a team official later clarified that the plan is for Williams to take the ball.
Williams, who came to the Mets alongside Javier Báez in the July 30 trade that sent prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong to the Cubs, produced a 2.25 ERA over his first two starts with Triple-A Syracuse. According to a person with knowledge of the talks, the Mets had a choice between Williams and Zach Davies in their deal with the Cubs; they chose Williams in large part because he had an accessible Minor League option, which the team then immediately used to send him to Syracuse.
Now, with a doubleheader on Wednesday creating a hole in their rotation, the Mets will recall Williams for at least one start.
Williams appeared in 13 games for the Cubs earlier this year, producing a 5.06 ERA with 61 strikeouts in 58 2/3 innings. He is a relatively soft thrower who relies on five distinct pitches, including a fastball, sinker, slider, changeup and curve.
Shortstop Francisco Lindor took another step forward in his rehab from a strained right oblique muscle, taking batting practice on the field Wednesday afternoon for the first time since his injury. When asked if he still feels any discomfort in his oblique, the shortstop replied that he “feels good.”
“I’m just moving along,” Lindor said. “I’m following instructions. Whatever the trainers tell me, I’ll follow instructions.”
The Mets’ initial timeline for Lindor had him returning before the end of August. So long as he continues progressing, with game-speed defensive work and rehab games on the horizon, Lindor should still be able to meet that goal.
As for Lindor’s replacement at shortstop, Báez should be available to play at some point on Wednesday. He has not taken the field since tweaking something in his hip/lower back area in Sunday’s loss to the Phillies.
Despite Carlos Carrasco’s abbreviated outing in Tuesday’s game, which was suspended due to rain, the veteran right-hander was able to stretch out to about 80 pitches in an indoor bullpen before calling it a night. That should allow Carrasco to assume a full workload for the first time when he returns to the mound on Sunday against the Dodgers.
“I didn’t take anything off. I just went as hard as I could,” said Carrasco, who missed the first four weeks of this season due to a right hamstring strain. “Just getting ready for the next start.”
Carrasco will be looking to improve upon his 5.78 ERA, which is largely the product of the three-run homer Juan Soto hit in the first inning of Tuesday’s suspended game.