12th December 2021,
Updated: 12th December 2021,
Max Verstappen has won his first ever world championship following a dramatic day at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
The Red Bull star started in pole position but trailed behind Lewis Hamilton for the bulk of the race with Hamilton firmly in control.
However a late safety car allowed the Dutchman back into the race.
With fresher tyres, Verstappen and Hamilton faced off in a dramatic final lap with the Red Bull driver crossing the line to come away victorious.
However that was just the start of the decision as Mercedes launched two appeals against the final result, both of which were not upheld by the FIA.
- Max Verstappen wins world championship with last-gasp victory over Lewis Hamilton
- A late safety car wreaked havoc with the two rivals going head-to-head in the last lap as they sought the title.
- Mercedes lodged two appeals against the result, however neither have been upheld.
- Verstappen described victory as ‘insane’, while George Russell described racing control decision as ‘unacceptable’.
- Mercedes win constructors’ championship after Sergio Perez retired from race late on
- talkSPORT will have updates throughout the day and you can listen through our radio player below