,April 21, 2021
Image: Adam Guthrie
Lentils are made up of over 25% protein, which makes them an excellent meat alternative. They are also an excellent source of iron and potassium. This vegan mince can be used in an abundance of ways and is a yummy simple way to keep your body healthy and nourished.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or sliced
- 100g carrot, finely diced or grated
- 100g celery, diced
- 2 tomato, diced
- 4 cups cooked brown lentils
- 2 cup peas
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan “beef” stock powder
- 1 tbsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves removed & chopped
- 1 cup microgreens
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cashew Sour Cream
- 250g raw cashews
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- To Serve
- 8 slices wholemeal sourdough, toasted
4 tbsp cashew sour cream
- Heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and dry sauté (no oil) for a few mins. Add a splash of water to deglaze the pan, then stir.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, peas, Worcestershire sauce, beef stock powder, mustard, rosemary leaves and stir. Add a splash of water and let it cook for a further min. Have a taste and add a bit more Worcestershire sauce or salt and pepper to taste.
- For the cashew sour cream, place the cashews, lemon, water and salt in a blender. Then puree to smooth cream.
- Place the savoury mince on top of the toasted sourdough, top with cashew sour cream and microgreens.
Adam is a vegan whose passion for food began with a life-threatening illness and continues today in a lifestyle built around healthy cooking and eating. Adam is a qualified chef and wellness coach who specialises in a wholefood, plant-based diet. Adam shares how to prepare delicious, healthy food for health, energy and vitality. He conducts online healthy eating and wellness programs and gives keynote talks, live cooking demonstrations and cooking classes on the subject of healthy eating and living well.
This vegan breakfast plate combines the nutritious value of tempeh with its ultimate ally, peanut sauce alongside flavourful mushrooms and…
Looking for the ultimate vegan dessert? The flavours of delectable Jamaican chocolate shine through in this nourishing but delicious treat.