Even before the coronavirus pandemic hit, the remote job market was on the rise, with more and more workers seeking out flexible arrangements that allow them to work from home or travel the globe. According to a report done by FlexJobs—an online service for telecommuting, flexible schedule, part-time and freelance jobs—there has been a spike in the amount of people doing remote work in the US, and wanting to travel is one of the top reasons why people say they work remotely. Over the last five years, remote work grew 44% and between 2005 to 2017, there was a 159% increase in remote work. Today, there are 4.7 million Americans working remotely, or 3.4% of the population—that’s up from 3.9 million US workers in 2015.
As coronavirus spreads, companies are increasingly asking employees to work from home and a third of Americans say they or an immediate family member have been laid off or lost their job as a result of the pandemic. With the coronavirus pandemic not predicted to peak until at least April, this is an ideal time to review the variety of jobs that can be done from home or remotely. To help job seekers during this difficult time, FlexJobs has compiled a list of 20 companies currently hiring for remote jobs as well as a list of 50 surprising remote jobs.
This is good news for people who want to work from home or eventually work from anywhere and travel. But important to note: Based on FlexJobs job listing data, it’s important for people who want to work remotely and travel to be especially diligent in their remote job search. “Only about 5% of remote jobs let you live and work from anywhere in the world,” says Brie Weiler Reynolds, Career Development Manager and Coach at FlexJobs. “The other 95% of remote jobs have some kind of geographic requirement where the worker must be based, such as a certain state in the US or country in the world.”
But ultimately, this new coronavirus reality could impact the way we all do business—helping workers realize that they can do their job from anywhere and helping employers appreciate that geography is a state of mind, thus allowing people to work from wherever they choose. “It’s absolutely possible that because so many people are experiencing what it’s like to work 100% remotely right now, that after the crisis has abated, some portion of those will remain interested in working remotely in the long term, including those who want to do so while traveling,” says Reynolds.
Here, we combed through the FlexJobs lists and came up with 27 of the most surprising—and interesting—remote and work from home jobs. Note that these jobs were all live upon the publication date, but even expired jobs will give you an idea of the kind of breadth that exists in the remote-work world.
Accounting and Finance Jobs
• Supporting Strategies is an outsourced operational and bookkeeping firm that provides specialized on-demand, outsourced accounting services. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include Accountant and Bookkeeper
Computer and IT Jobs
• Red Hat provides infrastructure solutions for cloud computing. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include Salesforce Apttus Configuration Engineer and Principal Specialist Solutions Architect – Healthcare.
• Renovation Project Consultant: Position will complete reviews of various documents relating to residential construction, complete assigned work and engage with the head of mortgage lending operations. Five years of experience reviewing construction contracts. Work from home, part-time contract.
Content Creation Jobs
• Fandom Writer: Remote, freelance job for candidate who will write about fandom favorites such as Star Trek, Doctor Who, Supernatural, Grey’s Anatomy, and more. Candidate should be film and TV obsessive and have an impressive portfolio of published articles.
• Digital Health Content Producer: Part-time, all telecommuting role with a flexible schedule. Responsible for developing digital health content that engages with new moms and promotes using the hospital/healthcare provider. Must have digital content generation and presentation skills
• Video Editor and Animator: Part-time, remote, contract job. Needs a high level of video editing skills and intermediate Illustrator skills. Deliver and develop fresh creatives, come up with and execute multiple concepts, produce eye-catching advertisements and is a team player.
• Vitamin T is a creative talent agency that connects freelance creative workers with digital marketing firms and advertising agencies. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include Traffic Manager, Packaging and Mobile User Interface Designer.
Customer Service Jobs
Education and Training Jobs
• Educational Video Instructor: The remote-based educational video instructor will be producing videos on academic or admissions topics, recording audio and video, and editing videos. Requires English fluency and experience in developing educational/related video content.
• Great Minds provides high-quality education, including a complete range of liberal arts and science programs. Remote jobs hiring now include Curriculum Developer, High School and Digital Interactives Curriculum Developer.
• K12 provides online educational programs for children in kindergarten through 12th grade. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include English Teacher and Curriculum Alignment Contractor – World Languages.
Food Industry Jobs
• Chef Instructor: Chef Instructor is needed for a remote opportunity. Candidate will facilitate meaningful learning of course competencies in the curriculum. Must develop an environment conducive to learning.
Media Industry Jobs
• Thomson Reuters provides information and analysis to the financial, legal, tax, accounting, healthcare, science, and media industries. Remote jobs hiring now include Practical Law Account Representative and Product Support, Direct Representative – Income Tax.
• TV Transcription: In this position, the freelancer will be working on a TV transcription project expected to last until June. The candidate must have English fluency and solid knowledge of TV programs and pop culture. This is a work-from-home position offering flexible hours.
Medical and Health Jobs
• Netsmart updates electronic health records to provide timely, accurate, information that is accessible to staff that provide social services, behavioral health, and post-acute care. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include Chart Reviewer and Certified Coding Specialist.
Sales and Marketing Jobs
• Salesforce: Salesforce provides customer relationship management through its customer success platform to help businesses connect with their customers. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include Senior Manager, Sales Enablement Program Management Office and Business Consultant, Digital Engagement – Marketing Strategy.
• Spaceship Physics Developer: Remote, full-time job. Needs experience with physics engine development and familiarity with version control. Develop rigid body simulation, write fast multi-threaded code using Unity DOTS, build rigid body simulation and will integrate features.
• Thermo Fisher Scientific is a global biotechnology company. Work-from-home jobs hiring now include Cardio Transplantation Business Development Manager.
• Conservation Certification Reviewer – Bilingual: Review background instructions and materials relating to the review process, participate in annualized and unpaid training and offer feedback while ensuring the review of continuous improvement.
• Spanish Proofreader: Part-time, temporary position. Remote. Will create educational experiences, conduct research, develop content, perform analyses, collaborate with team and provide expertise. 1+ year related experience required.