,May 31, 2021
Image: Adam Guthrie
Minestrone is a classic Italian soup that offers a great way to eat an abundance of superfoods in one meal. You can use any combination of your favourite vegetables, with pasta or rice as the added starch to make it hearty and wholesome.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 6 ripe tomatoes, cut into quarters & puréed in a blender
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 420g tin cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 420g tin brown lentils, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup wholemeal penne pasta
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- ½ bunch kale, stems & leaves very finely shredded
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 4 slices wholemeal (GF, if required) or sourdough bread, to serve
- Heat a pan over a high heat. Dry sauté (no oil) the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until translucent.
- Add the blended tomatoes, stock, cannellini beans, lentils, pasta and cabbage. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the pasta is cooked.
- Add the peas, kale and parsley, cook for a min.
- Serve in bowls with a slice of wholemeal or sourdough.
Adam is a vegan whose passion for food began with a life-threatening illness and continues today in a lifestyle built around healthy cooking and eating. Adam is a qualified chef and wellness coach who specialises in a wholefood, plant-based diet. Adam shares how to prepare delicious, healthy food for health, energy and vitality. He conducts online healthy eating and wellness programs and gives keynote talks, live cooking demonstrations and cooking classes on the subject of healthy eating and living well.
Stuck for meat-free options for lunch or dinner? Ceres Organics has got you covered with these deliciously wholesome pant-based dinner…
Searching for a guilt-free low-calorie dessert option? Try these tasty treats, made with Lakanto’s low-carb, low-cal and low-glycaemic Monkfruit Sweetener.