News Corp has announced a massive shakeup of its publishing businesses, moving almost all of its community and regional newspaper titles to a digital-only format.
The media giant said there would “regretfully” be job losses associated with the announcement, but the exact number remains unclear.
News Corp said more than 375 journalists would continue to work solely for the titles, with the changes effective from June 29.
“These announcements are significant,” News Corp Australia’s executive chairman Michael Miller said in a statement.
“They will involve fundamental changes to how we operate our business, but they are necessary.”
The COVID-19 pandemic had already forced News Corp to suspend physical printing of some of its newspapers, with the crisis taking a sledgehammer to advertising revenue.
Some 16 community and regional papers are already online, with News Corp now planning to publish a total of 92 papers in the same way.
The Mackay Daily Mercury, the company’s Messenger newspapers in Adelaide, and Melbourne leader titles are among those to move to digital-only services.
The Hobart Mercury and NT News are among the regional papers that will still be printed.
A small number of regional titles will cease publication both in print and online, with coverage of these communites feeding into the digital masthead covering the wider area.