Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Vaishvik Bhartiya Vaigyanik (VAIBHAV )Summit on Friday through video conferencing. The summit aims to bring overseas and resident Indian researchers and academics under a common platform.
Earlier, Modi had tweeted, “Looking forward to tomorrow’s Vaibhav Summit, which brings together scientists as well as researchers from the Indian diaspora. Do join at 6:30 PM on 2nd October”.
A statement from the Prime Minister’s Office read, “The aim of the summit is to bring Indian-origin luminaries in academic institutes and research organisations across the world and resident counterparts on a single platform to debate upon collaboration mechanisms to strengthen academic and science and technology (S&T) base in India for global development.’’
The summit is being organised by around 200 academic institutes and S&T departments, led by the Principal scientific advisor, Government of India.
Here are the top quotes from the Prime Minister’s address:
1. The Prime Minister began his virtual address by thanking the scientists who offered their suggestions & ideas today. “You have brilliantly covered many subjects. Most of you highlighted the importance of greater collaboration b/w Indian academic & research ecosystem with their foreign counterparts,” he added.
2. The Prime Minister said that the government has taken numerous measures to boost scientific research and innovation adding that science is at the core of the efforts towards socio-economic change.
3. “In 2014, four new vaccines were introduced in our immunisation programme. This included an indigenously developed Rotavirus vaccine. We encourage indigenous vaccine production,” PM Modi said.
4.The Prime Minister highlighted, “We want top-class scientific research to help our farmers. Our agricultural research scientists have worked hard to ramp up our production of pulses. Today, we import only a very small fraction of our pulses. Our food-grain production has hit a record high.”
5. The need of the hour is to ensure more youngsters develop an interest in science, Modi said adding that one must get well-versed with the science of history and the history of science.
6. “India’s call of an Atmanirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India), includes a vision of global welfare. To realise this dream, I invite you all & seek your support”, PM highlighted.
7. Modi also said that ‘VAIBHAV summit’ celebrates science and innovation from India and the world. He called it a it a true ‘sangam’ or confluence of great minds.
(With ANI inputs)